What to Bring
When preparing to come to the USA to attend Cal Poly, consider this list:
- Immigration documents: passport, acceptance letter, proof of paying the I-901 Fee, I-20 or DS-2019, and passport with visa foil. Keep these with you on the plane. Do NOT put them in your checked baggage.
- Your driver's license or international driver's license.
- Proof of safe driving record in your home country for the past 1 to 3 years if you might be purchasing automobile insurance in the U.S. or signing up for Zipcar.
- A 3-month supply of medications for existing medical conditions. Prescriptions from abroad cannot be filled in the United States. It is a good idea to have your physician provide you with a description of the prescription medicine(s) you take. You can then consult a physician at Cal Poly Health and Wellbeing for a prescription that can be filled in the United States. No more than a 3-month supply can be brought from abroad.
- An extra pair of eyeglasses or contact lenses and your printed prescription.
- Medical records, immunization records, dental records, and academic records of any dependents that will be enrolling in school in the United States.
- Birth certificates or other proof of age for children who will be entering school for the first time and birth certificate for yourself (certified copies with English translation).
- Marriage certificate for accompanying spouse (certified copy with English translation).
- Credit cards. Not all credit cards are accepted. We recommend bringing multiple types of cards.
- Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number if you were issued one on a previous trip to the United States.
- Slides, photographs, and maps of your home country or home university, which can be used in informal talks you may be invited to give.
Do NOT Bring:
- Bedding or towels – you can buy them when you arrive
- Large amounts of cash