Cal Poly

Welcome to the International Travel Process Info Page

All faculty, staff, and students traveling on official university business are required to complete International Travel Authorization paperwork and secure international insurance through Cal Poly. All paperwork should be submitted prior to travel with approval received before airfare is purchased. Travel abroad may include activities such as taking classes, attending or presenting at conferences, participating in tours, conducting funded research, or taking students on a non-credit international field trip. To follow the established process for traveling internationally, you must submit paperwork according to the timeline below:

Travel Type Submit to the International Center
Individual International Travel At least 30 days prior to travel
High Hazard International Travel At least 60 days prior to travel
Group International Travel At least 90 days prior to travel
Group High Hazard International Travel At least 120 days prior to travel

High Hazard Travel

According to the Chancellor’s Office Memorandum RM 2014-01, high hazard insurance must be secured 30 days prior to travel and travel requests therefore need to be submitted and approved prior to the 30-day window. Note that high hazard travel requests with less than 5 business days notice will not be considered. Travel to war risk countries must be submitted to the Chancellor’s Office for approval and takes additional time to process.

Please note: We have been notified by the Office of the Chancellor that new requests for travel to Libya (High Hazard countries) will not be approved and that previously approved travel is officially rescinded. See the memo regarding Pakistan and Libya travel (pdf). A country is considered high hazard if it is listed on the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning List or CSURM High Hazard Country List (pdf).

Faculty or Staff

If you are a member of the Cal Poly faculty or staff planning to travel individually to an international destination for research, a conference, or other university related business, please view the individual employee travel approval process.


If you are a Cal Poly student planning to travel internationally for research, a conference, or other university related business, please view the individual student travel approval process. If you are looking for information on study abroad programs, please visit the Study Abroad website and review available programs.

Non-Academic Group Travel

If you are planning to lead a group to an international destination, please view the non-academic group travel approval process. Please note that group travel requires significant advance planning and coordination with the International Center.

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484